Whether you’re a first-time seller or you’ve done it all before, selling a home can be a complicated and stressful experience. It’s personal and relational. Choosing the right Real Estate Agent can make that journey much easier.
Ask for Referrals.
One of the best ways to get a good honest opinion on an agent is to ask family and friends who they have used. Ask them about the process. Did they have a good experience? Did they feel like their agent represented them professionally and worked hard for them?
Asking a close friend who you trust about their agent, is always a great place to start.
Interview at least 3 Agents.
You want to have options. You want to be able to compare possible fits for your needs. An in person interview is a great way to get a better feel for who an agent is and what they are all about.
Here are some great questions to ask:
- How long have you been in real estate?
- Do you primarily work with buyers or sellers?
- What are your strengths?
- How will you market my home?
- Can you put me in touch with some references?
- Tell me about a difficult deal you were able to negotiate?
Look for a local expert.
You want an agent who is familiar with your area and neighborhood. Chances are a local real estate agent will have a good network within your area to aid in their marketing efforts. They may know of individuals and families looking to relocate into the area, as well as have a good understanding of what type of buyer would be most interested in that part of town.
Marketing. Marketing. Marketing.
One of our top criteria would be an agent with excellent marketing. Effective marketing is what brings eyes to your home. Every set of eyes they can attract is one more possible buyer.
Here are some things to look for:
- Do they have their own website? How does it look?
- Do they have a strong social media presence?
- Do they use professional media on every listing?
- Do they present themselves in person as they do online?